Psychic Super Bowl
To open a discussion on this article, please use the contact page to provide your comments.
In one of the weekend papers, a psychic predicted that Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens would play badly and suffer a career ending injury. In some ways it was a "safe" prediction, given that Owens would be playing after what his doctors considered too brief a recovery period after leg surgery. However, as for so many psychic predictions, it proved wrong. Owens played well in a losing cause.
I do like to reference these failed predictions. The newspapers already having been sent to their recycling reincarnation, I tried to google the article (so as to properly reference it) with key words psychic, super, and bowl. The desired article did not appear, but I did find a handful of other psychic predictions for this game.
- 5Star Psychic Advice had Pittsburgh beating Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl (Considering this prediction was apparently made in October, picking one participant shows a bit of luck.)
- Psychic Calendar - incorrectly picked the Carolina Panthers in 2004, then claimed it was a correct prediction because the losing Panthers had beaten the spread. They then wisely chose not to make a 2005 prediction.
- Psychic Susan prominently posted a claim on her site that she had predicted the two finalists. However, she did not predict a winner.
- Prophecies.us featured a 26 January prediction that "The Eagles will win which will shock the sports world."
- Prophecies.us also allowed others to post psychic predictions on the site. Here are three, all dated 25 January:
- anonymous: "The eagle will fly high and proud. Eagles 31 Pats 21"
- anonymous (presumably a different anonymous): "Pats will handle the defense easily (drawing on how they manhandled the Steelers) and win by 6-10 points."
- JefflJones: "The Patriots will win by somewhere between 7-10 points." and "Terrell Owens will NOT play."
Actual game score, for those who didn't care enough about the game to check the results already:
New England Patriots 24 - Philadelphia 21
Psychic score based on three game predictions, two point spread predictions and two Terrell Owens predictions:
0 for 7